Sunday, March 11, 2012

quilt #5. solids.

Yesterday, I marathon quilted with my quilting sensei, K.


I had my fabric washed and cut, and I had one set of strips pieced, but yesterday I managed to piece the other three sets of strips and cut all four into blocks. Of course, K managed to pretty much piece her entire quilt top, but she's awesome, so that's not really a crazy thing. (See why I want to be her when I grow up?)

I was a little frustrated when my 8.5" blocks turned out to be more like 8.25", but as usual, K was the voice of reason and calmly suggested I merely cut them to 8.25". Which was a good idea. Because otherwise I wouldn't have had enough to make five cuts, and I would've been even more cranky because I did my quilty math correctly! My fabric rebelled!


Pieced, they'll look like this, and I'm hoping to get the rows sewn today. Maybe the entire quilt top pieced tomorrow? It'll only be a little under 32" by a little under 40", so it's not a huge quilt. Then to decide on backing and binding fabrics. A part of me wants to go print, especially for the backing, but maybe the binding too. I saw a photo of some hot pink binding this morning that moved me, but obviously that won't work for this quilt. But maybe something patterned? Once I finish piecing the top, I'll take the entire thing to the store to look for the remaining fabrics. I didn't bother with the backing and binding when I bought the solids because there simply wasn't time. I do, however, have an idea for the quilting....

I'd like to get this piece done soon, but it may not happen before the baby comes. And with the severe discomfort this child is bringing, I kind of want him to come soon. Last night, my body was racked with flu symptoms without actually having the flu. I woke up this morning with a still sensitive tummy, but at least the chills and hot flashes had stopped. And the contractions, oy! the contractions! have disappeared. We'll see. As of today, I'm technically full term, so if I disappear for awhile, well, you'll have a good idea where I am.

4 comments:

  1. I like the quilt so far! The way it's laid out now, it looks like you wove the strips together. Awesomesauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you concur! I like the woven look that the design lends. :)

      Delete
  2. Great colors! I don't see gray that often in quilts, but you've used it successfully multiple times now.

    Isn't strip piecing magically efficient?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love gray. I especially love it in this quilt. I wanted to go with more of a charcoal, but it was too dark. I'm going to look to see how it looks for binding.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...