Wednesday, February 12, 2014

WIP: Bee Stuff Edition.

I have the privilege of being in two super awesome (and very different) bees this year. Stash Bee, with a dresden block request for February, and Fierce Quilters Bee, with a...you know, I don't even really know how to explain it except to say that yesterday, I pulled out a bunch of fabric and just started piecing.


First up, a red and aqua dresden request on a gray background for Ashley. I quickly discovered how depleted both my red and my aqua stash are. I managed to scrape together a decent stack, then got to business cutting and piecing wedges.


I had never pieced a dresden block before, so it was really cool to learn the process.


But even with all my scraping, I'll be popping out to my LQS sometime soon to pick up some fabric for the center. And then comes the tricky part--Agatha doesn't have a zigzag stitch, so I'll be needing to find a friend who will be a dear and let me come use their machine to do the actual applique. (I really need to get one of those dirt cheap sewing machines, just for the zigzag.)


And a bit of a hint of Anna's quilt in progress. This is taken at night, and I pinky promise the fabrics play well together. Well, with the exception of that light gray, but that's getting ripped out today to be replaced with something much more yum. This block (segment? slab?) is almost done, and I'm hoping to move on to some triangle work or maybe some paper piecing today.

I'm linking up today with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

9 comments:

  1. Popping in from WIP Wednesday. Love your Dresden. I have one to make for my local bee! I was putting it off but now you have me excited to make mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I was surprised by how quickly it came together. I really thought it would take more time. Of course, I've yet to do the center or applique, so I still have some work ahead of me... :) Thanks!

      Delete
  2. OMG loooove. I'm so excited to see all the stuff you do!! My last week or so has been entirely devoted to valentines day sewing. Really need to get back to work on this bee stuff!

    Your Dresden is so pretty. Too bad your awesome machine doesn't zigzag! But a dirt cheap machine would totally do the trick :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Can't wait to see more of those Dresdens pop up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These projects look fun! And don't feel bad that you had trouble pulling from your stash. As much as I like to try to work from my stash, I almost always end up back the the LQS looking for more fabrics to match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's your first ever Dresden? wow- well done! So excited to see what the 2nd project is going to be...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not perfect, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! And I'm really excited about project 2. Hopefully I'll get some good work done on it this weekend and have some photos for next week. :)

      Delete
  6. I like your fabric choices for all of the projects in this post. The Dresden looks near perfect, and the grey hint of quilt looks like a lovely beginning of a larger endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dresden look amazing, love the red and aqua. You know The Hello Kitty machine has a great zig zag stitch, 4 of them, and she's not too pricey....just saying.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...