Sunday, November 16, 2014

SS: The Second Purple Quilt.

I don't work with purple a lot. I don't dislike the color, but I make a lot of boy quilts, and when I do make a girl quilt, c'mon. You know what color I'm going to be using. So when I found out my sister-in-law was expecting a girl...well, I had grand visions of a hot pink quilt. Specifically, I was planning to make an HST collection of awesomeness.

Except, the baby nursery is going to be purple and gray. Normally, when I make a baby quilt, I ask the recipient if there's anything they really dislike, and I make sure to work around that. But this is my sister-in-law, and the first girl baby on that side of the family. Purple and gray it is. (For the record, I'm sure she'd love any quilt I made for them. The choice to use purple is strictly my own.)


It won't be a miserable pursuit. How could it be with that delicious stack of Kona goodness? There are also a couple of American Made solids in there, which my LQS recently started carrying, so I'll be seeing how I like those. Did I write down which solids in particular I'm using? Of course not. That would have been responsible shopping. When I buy solids, I'm always so enamored with the fabric that I think of little else, and added to this trip, I was minding a four-year-old and informing him that if he didn't stop trying to touch that sewing machine, he would not be getting his promised hot cocoa.

When I do use purple, I kinda go overboard. I made my Purple-y Quilt early in my quilting tenure. I can only imagine how vastly different this one will look. I'm hoping to cut into this stack this week and get started piecing. I think I calculated that this baby quilt will have over 250 pieces, so there will be a lot of cutting!

Molli Sparkles

I'm linking up with Sunday Stash at Molli Sparkles! It's the place to be.

10 comments:

  1. 250 is a lot of pieces! I can't wait to see what you do with those beautiful solids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple and gray is such a great combination! Are you designing your own quilt top or following a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love color gradients!! I, too, am so bad at keeping track of what specific colors I buy. I usually will take a picture of the stack of bolts with my phone with the intention of labeling my fabrics, but then never actually get to it. I can't wait to see what you create with these purpley grey pretties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I do the same thing and forget which color is which. I love that some stores put stickers on the fabrics when they are cutting them and I've even accidentally ironed over the stickers with no problem, then I can always tell what the color name is.

    Purple is my favorite color, so I am excited to see this quilt. Purple and gray sound like such a lovely combo for a baby's room. Very tranquil.

    I'm curious to hear how you like AMB. I don't like them too much. They feel thin and stiff to me, but I've only made one quilt with them and haven't washed it yet. Maybe it washes up really soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these purples line up very well together. Purple increases creativity so it will be interesting to know how you feel as you work with them. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about purple! I'll definitely be keeping tabs on that! I sure hope it does! :)

      Delete
  6. Yes, do report back on the American Made solids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. Loving that stack of purple (and I will admit to being a recent convert to the colour - thanks to the Pantone colour of the year for 2014.). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know purple and grey just happens to be my fave...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving that stack of plum-y, purple-y goodness! I'm a little late to see this, so by now, you may be well on your way to a finished quilt top! Can't wait to see how it looks when you are all done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...