Friday, October 30, 2015

FF: Gypsy Wife Quilt.


My Gypsy Wife Quilt is complete. It's been such a long-term project that it honestly feels odd to have it done! 


I thought I'd been working on it for over two years, but come to find out, it hasn't been quite that long. I bought the pattern in February of last year.

The first time I saw the pattern, I knew that I wanted to make it and that I wanted it in AMH fabrics with a handquilted finish. I don't always have such strong feelings, but this quilt definitely did that for me.


This pattern...wooboy. It was an effort of love, let me tell you. And since I handquilted it, it took about a kajillion years to finish. So now I have a new system for measuring my love: if I'm willing to make someone a Gypsy Wife quilt, it means I love them A TON. (That being said, I have absolutely no desire to repeat this pattern. Ever.)


The handquilting took forever, but it was totally worth it. I mostly straight line quilted it using perle cotton, but occasionally I got fancy and tried something else out.


When I got ready to back it, I pulled some of my favorite fabrics from stash that hadn't found the perfect project. Some AMH prints I hadn't wanted to cut into, some Kate Spain, Lizzy House, Alison Glass, and I can't remember who designed that yellow print, but that made it in there too. It's a total mish-mash, but I love it.


I had pieced some HRTs incorrectly for one of the blocks, so I used them to form a diamond and added it to the back. At some point I'll add a label. One of these days....


The binding is a fun stripe, also by AMH. While my original plan had been only AMH fabrics plus a few solids thrown in willy-nilly, I expanded that to include a large number of other designers, including a precious bit of Tula's Parisville line.


With that project finished, it's time to move on to clearing out some of the other WIPs I have waiting. (And maybe even start a new quilt or two??)

This is my first finish off my Q4 FAL list. After sitting on that list for what feels like a year, I can finally cross it off, woo!

9 comments:

  1. That is absolutely AMAZING, I LOVE IT! You did such a beautiful job, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so fabulous, Audrey! I love the way the quilting reads on the back of the quilt, and I am so excited for you to have this one complete. You ARE keeping this one, right?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it looks amazing! Kudos to you for sticking with the hand quilting. You must be so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg it's GORGEOUS. Seriously. That is amazing and you are amazing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is truly wonderful. I love its brightness, and the hand quilting just goes to make it a real heirloom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up with my blog reading. This quilt is fantastic from beginning to end, Audrey! Congrats on the finish!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. As your new friend and hive mate in Stash Bee for 2016, I had to check out your quilt. Wow, great finish. I see that you are a wild fabric lover, and boldly go where few are brave enough to follow! I love big, bold prints.

    I find quilting with perl cotton very tough. I prefer the traditional quilting thread and have hand quilted many quilts, big and little. My stitches aren't as little as they used to be, but oh well, that is what happens to some of us.

    That tree looks proud to be holding such a fabulous quilt. Could I drop by and climb up there for a snuggle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tis spectacular! I love it...it almost makes me want to make another Gypsy Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This beautiful finish leapt off the screen at me! I'm an AMH fangirl so no wonder the riot of colour caught my eye. So, so amazing! And hand quilted?! WOW! Great finish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...