Friday, May 10, 2013

FF: QBB Quilt.


Hi Friends! How is your Friday treating you? This week, I finished sewing up my Quilts Beyond Borders quilt, and I'm hoping to drop it in the mail later today! (They're still looking for another 100-150 by June, so if you can help, contact them. I'm going to try try try to fit another into my schedule.)


Backing is this turquoise and brown print with a smidge of the brown and white polka dot as I didn't have enough. I'm almost out of that polka dot print, and it will be a sad day when it's gone.


Quilting was straight lines through both sets of corners. I finally convinced myself to quilt both diagonals, and I love it. (Of course.) This quilt is so simple, but it's so happy and cheerful that I love it for its simplicity.


One of the requirements of QBB quilts is that they have to have machine-sewn binding. Since I typically handsew one side, I practiced on two other quilts before giving this one a shot. Of course, I practiced a zigzag stitch binding on those two, and I only had Agatha and her straight-stitchin' ways, so I gave another method a shot. It wasn't bad, but as you can see in the pic above, there were a few spots where I sewed over the binding by accident. (Oops.) I keep telling myself that one day I will rock at this. That day is not today, but I am getting better!

I was so close to having a second finish this week (the owls quilt!) but I wasn't able to get the binding done. Next week, Friends...

What have you been up to this week? I'm linking up with TGIFF and Crazy Mom Quilts. You are too, right?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Audrey, you will make someone very, very happy with that quilt. I love the colour combo. Beautiful job! Thanks for linking up with TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropped by from TGIFF - what a stunning quilt, I love your colour choices and then the backing just makes it sing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, no, I will not be linking up! I totally forgot I committed to bring in some baked goods for a bake sale today so I did that last night instead of working on my shirt... And tonight is all booked :/ oh well. I like baking :)

    Lovely quilt! Machine binding can be tough- I'm working on those skills too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quilt. Congratulations on this finish!
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
    Ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Esther! I'm so excited this one is done, and I can ship it off! :)

      Delete
  5. Stopping on via TGIFF. Lovely! Thanks for sharing and yes, sometimes the simplest quilting is just the right quilting for a project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! When I first started quilting, I wanted to make a complicated quilt, and now that I've been doing it for a bit, I really do love the simple one! :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...