Friday, January 1, 2016

Five Crosses Block Tutorial


THIS IS BLOCK AMAZINGNESS, aka, a Five Crosses block. I saw this block randomly on instagram, and I loved it so. I figured, it'll be easy to find a tutorial, right? WRONG. (That being said, if you know of one/find one, please don't tell me! I think I would cry!)



This was my demonstration fabric pull. When I first thought about making this quilt, I knew I wanted a blue/green bit of awesome, which is what I got!


You'll need: 

FABRIC A (blue in my pictures)
(8) 2.5" squares
(12) 2.5" x 3.5" rectangles
FABRIC B (green in my pictures)
(6) 2.5" squares
(5) 2.5" x 6.5" rectangles


1. You might be able to figure out how the block is pieced just from the photo, but in case you'd like some instruction, here's where to start: piece the center cross first, using (4) fabric A 2.5" squares plus (2) fabric B 2.5" squares and (1) fabric B 2.5" x 6.5" rectangle.

2. After that is completed, attach a 2.5" x 6.5" fabric B rectangle to the top and bottom of the cross. You'll need to piece the left and right sides, which are each composed of (2) fabric A 2.5" squares and (1) fabric B 2.5" x 6.5" rectangles. Once all four sides are attached to the center cross from step 1, set piece aside.


3. There are four corner units, which are each sewn up using (3) fabric A 2.5" x 3.5" rectangles and (1) fabric B 2.5" square. Two fabric A rectangles attach to the left and right side of the fabric B square. A third fabric A rectangle should be centered and attached to the top of the pieced rectangle.



4. Grab your center piece and lay out the block. The four corner units will need to be positioned around the center bit, then attached. One way of centering the corner units properly is to fold both the center square and the corner units in half. (You'll see I folded one right sides together and one wrong sides together so that they will nestle.) Pin and sew.


5. Your finished product before trimming will look like this. I trimmed my blocks to 12".

I hope y'all enjoyed this tutorial. Let me know if you wind up making a five crosses block!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...