Friday, February 12, 2016
FF: My Daddy's Quilt.
I finished binding this lovely during the Superbowl, and I'm thrilled to finally have it done. The blocks were made by Stash Bee Hive 8 (2015) and yours truly. The block is a modified version of the Glorious Autumn Star by Faith of Fresh Lemons Quilts.
This quilt is toddler and Spidey approved. It's also My Daddy approved. (Poor guy. He's been waiting a loooong time for this one.)
I did some FMQ on this bad boy, which measures at about 56" x 68". I wasn't thinking much about how the quilting would translate onto the back when I first started quilting the blocks, so I was thrilled when I turned the quilt over and found this cool design on the back. I then did some straight line quilting in the white sashing.
The binding I pulled from stash, almost using up two different navy prints.
I wish this quilt was a solid finish with no tragedy, but apparently, I can't deliver on that front. One of the blocks experienced some pretty hardcore bleeding, and there are blue stains and smears all over the white on that block. (Boo.)
My dad doesn't care, but I do. I told him in January 2015 I was making a quilt for him, and now it's over a year later, and I'm looking at a blotchy quilt. When I pulled it out of the dryer, I did a quick check before I threw it in the dryer, but as I've never had a problem with this before, I wasn't looking too closely. It's gone through the washer a second time, and I have it in now for a third round. The color catchers from the second wash showed more dye present, and I'd hate for my dad to wash it and have more spotting, so while these dye spots might not change, the hope is that no new ones will form.
Michelle at From Bolt to Beauty just posted about her own adventures trying to get bleed marks out of a quilt, and her post is extremely timely! I'm hoping I have similar success!
But it's a finish, and I'm glad to have it off my sewing table. This is finish #2 from my Q1 2016 FAL list, woo woo!