Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WIP: The Big Ol' Quilt Sandwich Edition



I made a big ol' quilt sandwich this week. This quilt is the largest I've pieced to this date, and when I sat down to pin baste it, I didn't consider that I would run out of safety pins. But yep. That's what happened. So I pinned the rest with straight pins, and I'm crossing my fingers and poking myself about fifty times every time I sew a line. I'm trying to work through sections with safety pins so that I can replace the straight pins with something a little more sturdy. (And less poky!)


I started quilting in the center with the friendship stars. I'm not used to working with this much negative space, so I'm trying to be creative in how I utilize all of that black. Cross your fingers for me, will you? And if you have any ideas--I'd love to hear them! I've echo quilted in the interior of the stars, and echo quilted the exterior, but I think my quilting lines will still be too far apart. (Keep in mind, Agatha isn't FMQ friendly.)


I did manage to cross another August goal from my list--my ironing board cover! For as much fretting as I did about getting it right, it was ridiculously easy. (And now it looks so nice and pretty!) Since it's only a tabletop board, It only used 1/2 yard of fabric, and I still have a bit left and am contemplating a pin cushion to accompany my hot pink tomato. 

I also picked out fabric (more 1001 Peeps!) for my first skirt and I've got a pattern/idea put together, meaning another August goal has been crossed off. (Fist pump!) Eleven days left to get through the remaining seven, but if I'm being honest, I think four of those seven will get pushed onto my September goal list. I really would like to finish quilting this quilt and get it sent off.


Most of the stuff I make is gifted to friends and family members, but I kept the above quilt, and at night, I like to curl it around me, even if it is a little too small to be a proper throw quilt. This morning, I came into the living room to see my oldest curled up while watching cartoons. It gave me warm mama squishy feelings, and now I'm stoked I decided to make him his own quilt for Christmas.

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesdays. Have a great Wednesday, and take a looksie at the fun and creative projects posted there!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

8 comments:

  1. Too bad we are not near each other. I have too many basting pins!!! I don't use them much because I spray baste. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously there is absolutely NOTHING like seeing one of your squishes all curled up with a quilt you made! I adore that photo of your son and your amazing quilt. Love love love... So glad there is someone else like me out there who feels the same way about quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stars! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that seeing your quilts well-loved is one of the best feelings in the world!! My son drags his transport quilt up and down the stairs with him whenever he gets up or goes to bed. And even brings it downstairs with him when he's being naughty and protesting bed time. I can't help but smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of your son and the quilt is just adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, that's the best-looking sandwich I've ever seen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors in your quilt are just fabulous. I love your squishy mom feelings and your happy writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...