Wednesday, August 29, 2012

WIP: The Something Else Edition

I have been working on my blacks and batik quilt all week long. All week. Much like the piecing, the quilting has been quite involved, and while I like (most) of what I've quilted, I have taken my trusty seam ripper to some quilting lines and pulled them up because they looked like junk they didn't match my idea for the quilt. I'm still doing a lot of echo quilting, but I think I'm going to have to take a different strategy on my foundation pieced block. I'm thinking more of a starburst design. We'll see. I'm saving it for last.


I did one round of echo quilting on my ribbon block. I am debating whether or not to do a second round (1/4" in from the existing lines) as well. (I can't wait to wash this bad boy and get all the white fuzz from the batting off of it!)


I really like the double echo quilted lines on this block.


However! I had to do something else! Had to! I switched out the black thread in Agatha for some white and started piecing. I've had my HSTs cut since the beginning of the month, but I finally churned out my August block yesterday. After my excitement for the July block, this one feels kind of meh to me. I think it's part design, part fabric picks, and part HST laziness and lack of meeting up at the corners.

I'm taking part in a Low Volume Swap, and I think the fabrics are going to be lovely! Since I usually stick with super bright quilts, I thought a low volume quilt would be an interesting opportunity to stretch myself. There are still some spots available, so if you'd like to join, there's a button in the right column that you can click for more information.

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

  1. I love the bright colors with the black and your quilting looks great! I am doing a quilt with very dark gray sashing and the fuzz from the batting is making me crazy. Thanks for the info on the low volume swap, I've just signed up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I STILL haven't done my August block either for the same reasons! Last month's block was cool, and this one... Yeah, a little meh. I guess I'll just do it with Sept's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pink and orange together, and they seriously POP against that black! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I would love pink and orange together, but they really do look lovely together. Thank you thank you!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you decided to go with the bow-ties - they look good, especially with the red. It's making me feel a bit like I cheated by making an entirely different block.

    I like bow the quilting is going, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red is definitely my favorite part of the block. I wish I had all of the blocks in one place--it would be nice to see how they all match up together!

      And you totally didn't cheat because your block is awesome and lovely and fantastic.

      Delete
    2. =] Thanks!

      Are you planning on trying to get them back together?

      I also wound up cheating on the June block - it's up on my quilt wall, waiting for me to have some time to sew it together.

      Delete
    3. I thought about uniting them all by taking the blocks I've made home, but I really like to have some of them here to audition other fabric choices against, and as much as I'd like, it seems silly to bring all of them back here.... I'm torn, really. My overweight suitcase has spoken though, so everything unnecessary will remain here.

      Delete
  5. Love the hourglass blocks! They are my third favorite block:) Did you see the low volume quilt on Crazy Mom Quilts? I really liked it. I think she called it "Oatmeal" or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...